Register to vote

Everyone is responsible for registering themselves to vote. Electoral Registration is a completely separate process and you will not automatically be registered to vote by any other contact you have with the council, such as when you pay Council Tax or Housing Benefit.

You can register to vote online at www.gov.uk/registertovote.

The deadline to register to vote for the Referendum on the UK's membership of the European Union has passed. You can still register for other future elections

It takes less than 5 minutes to register and you will just need your National Insurance Number and date of birth to confirm your identity and complete your application. If you do not have a National Insurance Number then you will be given the opportunity to explain why in your application. Once your application is submitted, the details in your application must be checked against government records and if there are any inconsistencies or missing information we will contact you to request Documentary Evidence to complete your application. Only until your application has been fully verified will we be able to finalise your application.

The electoral register is only updated at certain times of the year, generally the first working day of every month, apart from October and November. Please be aware these are strict legal deadlines which we are unable to change.

Can't register online? Get a paper registration form

If you're not sure, check if you're already registered to vote

Why register?

  • You must be on the electoral register to vote in future elections and referendums
  • By law, you must respond to an invitation to register to vote or you could be fined up to £80
  • If you are not on the register you may find it harder to get a loan, mortgage, finance agreement, or even a mobile phone contract as the register is used by credit reference agencies.

Who can register?

You can register to vote if you are:
  • 16 or older, although you can't vote until you're 18
  • a British citizen, or
  • an Irish, qualifying Commonwealth, or European Union citizen living in the UK
List of qualifying Commonwealth and European Union citizens.pdf
You can still register to vote if you have no fixed address. You will need to complete a different application form, called a 'declaration of local connection' to show that you are connected to and spend time at a particular place. Please contact us on 01708 432 444 for more information and to apply.
When we receive your application, we have to check your identity against Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) and other records, so applying does not mean that you will automatically be registered. Once we have checked your details, you will receive a letter from us either confirming that you are registered, or asking you for more information.
If you move house, you must register to vote at your new address.

Support for people with learning disabilities

Below is a link to a document written by Mencap and the Cabinet office. It gives guidance on voting and registering to vote for people with learning disabilities, their support workers and families. It explains what voting is and why it is important.

Fraud prevention

The Council has a duty to protect the public funds it administers and may use information that you provide for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other organisations responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes. For more information on our Fair Processing Notice, click here.

Contact details