Giving notice of marriage

If you wish to get married or form a civil partnership in England or Wales you must each give formal ‘Notice’ to a Superintendent Registrar at least 28 days before the date of your ceremony.​​​​​

The notices will be displayed on the public notice boards of the Register Office in which they were given.  

Your authority for marriage is valid for 12 months from the date notice is given.

A notice is a legal document covered by the Perjury Act 1911​, it states the 


  • names of the people intending to be married or to form a civil partnership
  • age
  • marital status
  • address, occupation
  • nationality
  • the intended venue for the ceremony 


and is valid for twelve months. 

Both of you must give notice in person. A relative or friend cannot do this on your behalf nor can you give notice by telephone, fax or email.

The minimum period of residence required for giving notice of intention is 8 clear days.

For example: if you arrived in England or Wales on the first day of January, and are establishing residency in order to qualify to give notice you would be eligible to give notice on 10 January:

​Day of arrival ​1 January
​First complete day of residency ​2 January
​Notice can be given 8 days later, on... 10 January

Where do we give notice?

If you are both European Union citizens,  and you both live in Havering you need to give notice at Havering Register Office. 

  • If one party lives in Havering and one party lives elsewhere and you are both European Citizens, you should each give notice in your own boroughs (district of residence).

  • If one or both of you are not European Union citizens, you will need to produce evidence of your right to marry in the United Kingdom (see notes below) and will have to give notice both together to any register office designated for this purpose.

    Under these circumstances, you may choose to give notice here and may make an appointment in Havering or at any other designated register office. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have enough time to complete all of the required paperwork and to give Notice before the date of any ceremony you have booked.

It is your responsibility to ensure that you have enough time to complete all of the required paperwork and to give Notice before the date of any ceremony you have booked

How do I book an appointment?

We now 
run an appointment system for notices of marriage and civil partnerships. To book a suitable appointment please click the button below:

In order to use our online forms you will need to create a personal account on My Havering.

Please note payment is required at the time of booking, please have your debit/credit card ready. (There is a 1.5% surcharge for credit card payments).

Notice of marriage online button 


What documents do I need to produce when giving notice?

You will need to produce certain documents when you come to give notice of your marriage.  A full list can be found on our Frequently Asked Questions page and your confirmation email.  Please read your email thoroughly before attending your appointment.

If either of party is under the age of 18 the Superintendent Registrar will need proof that your parents or legal guardian consent to the marriage or civil partnership. 

If your parents are divorced you will also need to produce the Court Order which gives custody to one or other parent. You will also need to produce a full copy of your birth certificate. You cannot marry or form a civil partnership if you are under the age of 16.

All documents must be originals and not photocopies. 

Failure to produce the correct documentation will result in your notice not being taken.

What happens once I have given notice?

For a marriage:

The Authorities for marriage will be issued on the 29th day.

For a civil partnership:

Your schedule will be printed directly by the Registrar who will be attending you on the day of your ceremony you do not need to come back and collect anything from us.