Apply for housing benefit

Before you make a claim for housing benefit you must first check that you qualify!

Claim criteria

You can claim if:

  • You are on a low income
  • You have less than £16,000 in capital or savings
  • You live in the home you pay rent or council tax for

Information on what housing benefit covers can be found on the what does housing benefit pay for?​​ web page, and in the council's housing benefit booklet​.

How do I claim?

Use our online benefit calculator and make a housing benefit claim

The calculator will how much you are entitled to you will be able to save your progress at anytime if you do not have all the information with you.

Important information

Before you return your form please make sure you complete the following:

  • You have fully completed and signed the claim form, which means you must answer every question
  • Proof of identity for you and, if you have a partner, for them too
  • Proof of National Insurance number for you and, if you have a partner, for them too
  • Proof of income for you and, if you have a partner, for them too
  • Proof of all income for anyone else who lives with you, (including your children or for example a grown up son or daughter or other relative or friend)
  • Proof of any savings, investments, stocks, shares, property or any other capital held by you, your partner including any bank or building society current accounts
  • Proof of your rent, if you pay rent to a private landlord or a housing association

If you return your form with all the proof we need then we will assess your claim straight away to ensure that you get paid in as short a time as possible.

What does housing benefit pay for?

​​​Housing benefit can help with the part of the rent that you have​ to pay just to live in your home. This is called your eligible rent.

This may be less than the amount you pay to your landlord because housing benefit cannot help with:

  • The cost of fuel for heating, lighting, hot water and cooking
  • The cost of meals (cooked or uncooked)
  • Ground rent (but it can help with site rent for residential caravans)
  • Water charges
  • Service charges for personal items like laundry and household cleaning

In some circumstances, you may get help with charges for lifts, cleaning of communal areas, children's play areas etc.

Click here to make a housing benefit claim 

Related page

Contact details